Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Thought regarding a recent CrankyPM post

So I was reading this post from the CrankyPM regarding real estate postings that don't have enough information. A bad example of Product Marketing she says. I did some homework of my own to see if I got the same results she did. I did. The CrankyPM was quite disappointed.

The purpose of these ads is not to answer the three questions she noted:
  1. Where is the home?
  2. Is the home big enough for my family?
  3. What’s the asking price?
What if the ad had all those things, but didn't have a picture. I'm willing to bet that fewer people would call than if there was picture, but the ad didn't answer all 3 of those questions. Buying a home is an emotional decision. People like to see the home and ask themselves "Can I see myself living there?". If the answer is "Yes" then the person will likely pick up the phone and call.

So at the end of the day, I disagree...the purpose of the ad is to get you to talk to the real estate agent. The ad serves its purpose and is designed to elicit an emotional response. It reminds me that the purpose of a resume to not to get you the job, but rather to get you the interview.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment