Monday, April 20, 2009

Leaving a job

So as many of you have noticed, its been a while since a couple of weeks since I have posted anything. Who am I kidding..."many of you", I doubt that anyone besides me reads this blog...but anyways...The reason why it has been a couple of weeks is that right now I'm between jobs. Leaving a job can be a trying and difficult time, but it says a lot about your character. I've seen employees pretty much say "screw you" and leave. I've seen folks give their two weeks notice, but somehow disappear. I've gone through my fair share of job transitions and here are some lessons I have learned:
  1. Be there - Support your team as you transition. They will likely need what is in your head and supporting them will likely leave them with a positive memory of your work. I remember the following quotation quite vividly "A man is not defined by what happens to him, but rather by how he reacts to what happens to him."
  2. Be positive - No matter how frustrated or angry you are, focus on the lessons learned and how you can apply those lessons in the future.
  3. Give yourself some time off - If your financial situation allows for it, a couple of days, weeks, etc. can allow you to get back to those things you neglected while you were working those long hours. You'll start your new job feeling refreshed and energized.
  4. Ask for feedback - Now that folks know you are not sticking around, it may be a good time to ask for candid feedback. This is a good opportunity to learn about how others view you so you can avoid making the same mistakes at your new job.

1 comment:

  1. Good lessons, I've always tried to get in number 3. It gives you time to leave behind any bad feelings from the previous job and start without making too many assumptions. Number 4 takes some guts. Be sure to make it clear that you aren't opening yourself to attacks - just that you want some honest critical assessment. Kick some butt at the new job!

    ReplyDelete